Tuesday 22 May 2012

Blog 7 - Personality


Blog 7 – Personality

Compare and contrast the differences between the nature and nurture approaches to personality? Include the nomothetic and idiographic approaches. Summarise with your views – do you feel nature or nurture is the dominant influence.

What is personality? There is no wrong definition of personality it is all left to personal interpretation. Personality has been described as being “consistent behaviour patterns and intrapersonal processes originating within an individual”. (Burger, 2012)

When evaluating an individual’s personality two main arguments put forward their case as to wither they have affected the individual’s personality. These two arguments are Nature and Nurture. Personality is always seen as being the nature vs. nurture debate. The nature side of the debate argues that a person’s personality is inherited threw their DNA. Whereas the nurture side of the debate believes that our personalities are developed as a direct response to our environmental conditions. Our personalities include the way that we think feel and behave.

The Nomothetic debate believes that our personalities are fixed entities. Believers of the Nomothetic approach believe that statistical studies of groups and objective questionnaires have proved that our personalities are determined by the genes that make us up. They believe that you can predict a person’s personality type from their DNA. There argument is dependent on biological data accumulated by analysing people s genetic structure. This genetic research has show that certain DNA type will portray certain personality traits. These traits also stick together; this is why they would suggest for example that a person with a confident personality would also be loud as the two personality types are similar. The main for founders of this argument are (Cattell, 2004)

The Idiographic argument about personality is closely linked to the nurture argument. The Idiographic argument believes that everyone’s personality id unique and that people and their personalities should be viewed individually as separate cases. A key belief as well is that personalities are adaptable allow a certain amount of change to them; People suggest that this is a primitive survival technique as adaptability normally creates the highest chances of survival. Idiographic believers also suggest that our personalities are influenced by social and cultural processes. ‘Kelly and Skinner’ stated that an individual’s personality was a personal interaction with their surrounding environment. (Kelly, 1997)

I personally do not side with either argument whole heartedly. I am of the belief that our personalities are an amalgamation of both the nature and nurture. I believe that our DNA would affect our personality and that there is a hierarchy in the sense that you are likely to have similar personalities to your parents as they as their genetic structure resides within you. At the same time I am a firm believer that the enviroment you are brought up in shapes the way you are as a person in later life. For example I am of the belief that as a small child you do not chose your personality you are conditioned by those around you in power to act as they want you to and be what they want you to be. The nature vs. nurture debate will never be fully solved as both arguments lack the empirical data needed to conclusively suggest that one argument is more right than the other to the extent that it is the only one considered as fact. Despite this if I was pressed to pick I would say that my upbringing had the greatest affect on the person I am today. Therefore I would have to side ever so slightly with the Nurture debates argument.

Visit the BBC website and take their personality test Include a summary of your findings about your own personality in your portfolio

After taking the personality test I have found that my personality is likely to have strengths in adaptability and responding to change. This gives me a higher survival rate in comparison to other people who do not share this same personality trait. The test also concluded that I am likely to be good at creating and innovating ideas and concepts. This means that I am brad thinking and can create opportunities and alternatives when thing are not going my way. The test also suggested that I am likely to suggest ideas and initiate putting them into practice. This is my most dominant personality trait and is the most recognisable once you have met me. My ability to suggest my thoughts then act out what I believe to be true is one of my best and worst traits as it save time and shows I’m decisive, but at the same time proves I wouldn’t be a god leader as it would be run as a dictatorship whereby other people with less dominant personalities would be automatically overlooked, wither or not there ideas were good. Despite not being a good leader in that respect the personality test suggested that I would be a good leader in the respect that my personality is good at coping with stressful situations and the pressures of setbacks. This is an important character trait within my personality as it allows me to remain focused and in control even when the odds are against me, and am in a position that is not winnable, I will still keep my cool and rely on my other traits such as my strengths in inventing new solutions and putting them into practice to sort out any problems I may or may not be in.

Bibliography

Burger, J.M. (2012) Personality. In: Personality. 8th ed., pp.3-5.
Cattell, E. (2004).
Kelly, S. (1997).


No comments:

Post a Comment